Geelani under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Senior hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani was placed under house arrest in Jammu and Kashmir`s summer capital Srinagar as the authorities apprehended a law and order situation if the leader was allowed to address a Friday congregation, police said.
Geelani had announced he would offer the Friday prayers at the Tourist Reception Centre mosque in the city.
"He has been placed under house arrest to prevent him from stoking trouble in the city," a police officer said.
"Wherever he went to address people, trouble has erupted there immediately after his speeches which are aimed at stirring the passions of the youth," the officer said.
However, a spokesman of the breakaway Hurriyat group, headed by the octogenarian Kashmiri separatist leader, maintained that Geelani`s house arrest was proof of the high-handedness of the authorities.
"Invariably, the police have been disallowing Geelani Sahib from going out of his house to offer Friday prayers. This is a direct interference in the religious rights of the leader," the spokesman said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed