Geelani under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Senior hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani was placed under house arrest in Jammu and Kashmir`s summer capital Srinagar as the authorities apprehended a law and order situation if the leader was allowed to address a Friday congregation, police said.
Geelani had announced he would offer the Friday prayers at the Tourist Reception Centre mosque in the city.
"He has been placed under house arrest to prevent him from stoking trouble in the city," a police officer said.
"Wherever he went to address people, trouble has erupted there immediately after his speeches which are aimed at stirring the passions of the youth," the officer said.
However, a spokesman of the breakaway Hurriyat group, headed by the octogenarian Kashmiri separatist leader, maintained that Geelani`s house arrest was proof of the high-handedness of the authorities.
"Invariably, the police have been disallowing Geelani Sahib from going out of his house to offer Friday prayers. This is a direct interference in the religious rights of the leader," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says