Geelani under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Senior hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani was placed under house arrest after he called for post Friday prayer protests against alleged "blasphemous posts" on social networking site Facebook, sources said.
"A police party posted outside the Hyderpora residence of Geelani sahib has asked the senior leader not to move out," sources close to Geelani told a news agency here.
Another senior separatist leader and chairman of the Democratic Freedom Party, Shabir Shah, has also been placed under house arrest in his uptown Sant Nagar residence.
Geelani had asked the imams of various mosques in the Kashmir Valley to raise their voice against the posts.
Criticising the police for its failure to "arrest the fiendish elements responsible for the posts" Geelani`s Hurriyat group sought help from the people in "tracing the evil doers responsible for the posting of the blasphemous comments".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players