Geelani under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Senior hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani was placed under house arrest after he called for post Friday prayer protests against alleged "blasphemous posts" on social networking site Facebook, sources said.
"A police party posted outside the Hyderpora residence of Geelani sahib has asked the senior leader not to move out," sources close to Geelani told a news agency here.
Another senior separatist leader and chairman of the Democratic Freedom Party, Shabir Shah, has also been placed under house arrest in his uptown Sant Nagar residence.
Geelani had asked the imams of various mosques in the Kashmir Valley to raise their voice against the posts.
Criticising the police for its failure to "arrest the fiendish elements responsible for the posts" Geelani`s Hurriyat group sought help from the people in "tracing the evil doers responsible for the posting of the blasphemous comments".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Iulia Vantur celebrated her birthday with this Bollywood celebrity – Pics inside
- Tour de France 2016: After third title, Chris Froome focuses on Rio Olympics 2016
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned today
- Journalists visa row: There'll be 'serious consequences', China warns India
- Protests over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew in south Kashmir to prevent separatist called march