Geelani`s shutdown call affects life in Kashmir
Srinagar: Normal life across Jammu and Kashmir summer capital Srinagar and other major towns of the Valley was hit on Monday by a protest shutdown called by hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani to protest the state government`s decision to issue Dogra certificates to those living in the Jammu region.
While those who support the Dogra certificates for residents of the Jammu region argue that it is needed to get reservations in recruitment to the paramilitary forces, Geelani maintains "it is a bigger conspiracy to divide the state on religious and ethnic lines".
The Dogras, who are Hindus, once ruled Jammu and Kashmir.
Shops, markets, other business establishments remained shut in Srinagar city even though some public transport plied in the city peripheries on Monday. The city`s prominent public schools also remained shut in view of the protest.
Work in government offices, banks and post offices was only marginally affected.
Reports from other major towns of the Valley also indicated that the protest strike affected life adversely.
Sources here said state government has decided to write to the union home ministry for modification of the latter`s order issued Jan 11 which provides for reservation in recruitment rules for ethnic communities like Dogras, Marathas and those living in hilly regions like Ladakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video