Geelani`s shutdown call hits life in Srinagar
Srinagar: Life across the Jammu and Kashmir summer capital was affected Saturday following a shutdown called by hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani, whom the authorities placed under house arrest to maintain law and order.
The shutdown coincided with the first death anniversary of Tufail Ahmad Mattoo, a boy who died after being hit by a tear gas shell in the old city areas. His death had triggered a vicious cycle of violence in which 110 people lost their lives across the valley.
Geelani had appealed for a protest shutdown and a march to the martyrs` graveyard at the Eidgah grounds in the old city area of Srinagar.
"Geelani has been asked not to move out of his house in order to maintain peace in the city. Nobody will be allowed to disrupt the prevailing peaceful atmosphere here," a senior police officer told IANS.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said, "If Geelani sahib wants a readymade audience outside mosques on Fridays, I will not allow that. I won`t allow anybody to disrupt peaceful environment in Kashmir.
"Geelani sahib is free to go anywhere on other days. Wherever Geelani sahib went on Fridays, stone pelting started."
Shops, other businesses, public transport and educational institutions remained closed in the old city and uptown areas in Srinagar although private transport and three-wheelers plied on the roads here.
Attendance in post offices, banks and government offices was affected because of the non-availability of public transport in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read