Governance deficit has made J&K a `begging bowl`: Sayeed
Srinagar: Continued governance deficit has given Jammu and Kashmir a tag of "begging bowl", PPD patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed today claimed, and said development scenario of the state can be changed "perceptibly" by a new government as happened in Bihar.
The PDP leader said there are instances within the country when the development scenario was changed "perceptibly" by a new government. Sayeed gave example of Bihar to buttress his claim.
"Bihar was considered the worst governed state and was cited as an example of backwardness. But it is now the fastest growing state in the country," he said.
He said that with a new political road map, condition of the state could change for better.
"I am confident that Jammu and Kashmir will become the most developed state in the region if it got a visionary political road map and efficient governance," Sayeed said while addressing a public meeting at Bijebehara in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district.
He said the continued "governance deficit" suffered by the state has undeservedly given it the tag of a "begging bowl" with its youth pushed into unemployment or jobs much below their potential.
"We had been able to change the discourse from conflict to resolution and from personal safety concerns to demands for speedier development," he added.
"The impression created that `all governments are alike` is a deliberate attempt by non performers to dilute the achievements of PDP in its brief tenure," Sayeed added.
"Jammu and Kashmir has a great tradition of knowledge and skills but these qualities have been severely restricted and compromised by political parties running the government for several decades," the former chief minister said.
He said JK youth are doing great outside the state but there were no opportunities for them back home.
"How is it that our young professionals achieve greatness once they step out from JK but are not finding enough opportunities within the state to flourish and enrich their lives, families and economy of the state," he said.
"We are determined to change this depressing scenario and enable each of our youth to realise his potential by creating opportunities for education, skill development and dignified employment," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi