Government should face real problems of people: Mufti
Jammu: Peoples Democratic Party patron Mufti
Mohammad Sayeed on Wednesday said that expecting peace in Kashmir
would be futile if the government continues to evade real
problems of the people.
"Expecting the people to give peace a chance is a noble
wish but unrealistic in view of the uninterrupted use of
draconian methods by the government," Mufti said in a
He alleged, "Kashmir has never failed to respond to the
requirements of using peaceful methods for expressing its
aspirations, but the state instead of reaching out created
more and more tragedies through its actions."
Mufti said the discourse on Kashmir has once again been
turned on its head by focusing on abstracts and theories and
evading action on the problems that face the people.
"No words would suffice where action is required," he
said, adding, even the eight-point formula by the government
Pointing out that the government has gone back to its
familiar mode of forgetting about Kashmir after it hit the
news headlines, Sayeed said good intentions have to be
followed up with matching action.
"While the government itself had set an agenda of
reviewing Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), reduction
of troops and release of prisoners," he said, and alleged only
the reverse of these objectives was being followed.
"Many people have run away from their homes fearing
arrest, torture and extortion," he said, adding, it seems
arrests have been turned into an industry for the security
forces and political brokers to benefit from.
Sayeed said the self-praise of the government about
bringing down the casualty rate in recent weeks sounds
He said Kashmir can never forget the tyranny involved
in shooting down 111 youngsters and asked "was this entire
agitation driven by the demand to use pellet guns instead of
The government will have to provide relief to
the common man especially those affected directly by the
crisis, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog