Government should face real problems of people: Mufti
Jammu: Peoples Democratic Party patron Mufti
Mohammad Sayeed on Wednesday said that expecting peace in Kashmir
would be futile if the government continues to evade real
problems of the people.
"Expecting the people to give peace a chance is a noble
wish but unrealistic in view of the uninterrupted use of
draconian methods by the government," Mufti said in a
He alleged, "Kashmir has never failed to respond to the
requirements of using peaceful methods for expressing its
aspirations, but the state instead of reaching out created
more and more tragedies through its actions."
Mufti said the discourse on Kashmir has once again been
turned on its head by focusing on abstracts and theories and
evading action on the problems that face the people.
"No words would suffice where action is required," he
said, adding, even the eight-point formula by the government
Pointing out that the government has gone back to its
familiar mode of forgetting about Kashmir after it hit the
news headlines, Sayeed said good intentions have to be
followed up with matching action.
"While the government itself had set an agenda of
reviewing Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), reduction
of troops and release of prisoners," he said, and alleged only
the reverse of these objectives was being followed.
"Many people have run away from their homes fearing
arrest, torture and extortion," he said, adding, it seems
arrests have been turned into an industry for the security
forces and political brokers to benefit from.
Sayeed said the self-praise of the government about
bringing down the casualty rate in recent weeks sounds
He said Kashmir can never forget the tyranny involved
in shooting down 111 youngsters and asked "was this entire
agitation driven by the demand to use pellet guns instead of
The government will have to provide relief to
the common man especially those affected directly by the
crisis, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly