Govt advisory on nuclear war triggers panic in J&K
New Delhi/ Srinagar: Panic has gripped Jammu and Kashmir after the state government issued an advisory in local newspapers warning residents to be prepared for a possible nuclear war.
The advisory by the state disaster response force (SDRF) details the steps one should take in case a nuclear, biological or chemical war breaks out in the state - stoking fears of a possible war between India and Pakistan as it comes amid simmering tension on the Line of Control after Pakistani troops beheaded two Indian soldiers and took away the head of one of them.
“Construct/identify basements in your residence where the whole family can stay for a fortnight (before nuclear war). In case no basement is available in the open space in front of your house construct bunkers as in conventional war (as some protection is better than no protection)”, said the advertisement issued in local newspapers by Yoginder Kaul, inspector general of police (civil defence, SDRF and home guards).
“If in open during nuclear attack, a person should immediately drop to ground and remain in lying position. Protect eyes and face by covering it with hands. Protect ears with fingers to prevent ear drum rapture. If blast wave does not arrive within five seconds of the flash you were far enough from the ground zero and initial radiation exposure will not exceed 150 rads”.
In case of biological warfare, the SDRF has asked people not to allow open pools/collection of water in surrounding areas. IGP civil defence, SDRF and home guards have tried to play down the issue saying the advisory is a routine exercise aimed at creating awareness among the people about the disasters whether natural or manmade.
However, the state government is amused by people’s reaction to the advisory which it considers routine.
“This is part of our awareness programme. We have issued advertisements about other disasters like earthquake, snowstorm flood, etc before that. In the second part we issued this advisory. It is a routine exercise,” Kaul said.
However many people in the state consider the advertisement is a brazen way to educate people.
With inputs from DNA
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof