Govt clears Rs 1,100 cr coastal security scheme
New Delhi: Aiming to strengthen country`s
security along the sealine, the government on Friday approved a
Rs 1,100 crore coastal security scheme to be implemented from
April 1, 2011.
The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), headed by Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh, cleared the Home Ministry`s proposal
for implementating the second phase of coastal security
Under the scheme, the Centre, with the help of states
having coastline, proposes to set up more coastal police
stations, purchase high-speed boats, recruit security
personnel and procure high-tech gadgets.
Under the first phase of the coastal security scheme,
the Centre set up 73 coastal police stations, 97 check posts,
58 outposts and 30 operational barracks, equipped with 204
vessels and vehicles in the nine coastal states, four coastal
After the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, which was carried
out by Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists who came from Pakistan
taking the sea route, the government has been emphasising on
securing the country`s 7,517 km coastline.
The Supreme Court order to postpone pronouncement of the
Ayodhya title suit verdict is also understood to have figured
at the CCS meeting.
The CCS is also believed to have discussed the situation
in Kashmir. An All Party Delegation led by Home Minister
P Chidambaram had visited the state earlier this week.
Another CCS meeting is likely to be held next week to
discuss threadbare the situation in the Valley. The demand of
the J-K government on partial withdrawal of the Armed Forces
Special Powers Act (AFSPA) may come up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?