Govt clears Rs 1,100 cr coastal security scheme
New Delhi: Aiming to strengthen country`s
security along the sealine, the government on Friday approved a
Rs 1,100 crore coastal security scheme to be implemented from
April 1, 2011.
The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), headed by Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh, cleared the Home Ministry`s proposal
for implementating the second phase of coastal security
Under the scheme, the Centre, with the help of states
having coastline, proposes to set up more coastal police
stations, purchase high-speed boats, recruit security
personnel and procure high-tech gadgets.
Under the first phase of the coastal security scheme,
the Centre set up 73 coastal police stations, 97 check posts,
58 outposts and 30 operational barracks, equipped with 204
vessels and vehicles in the nine coastal states, four coastal
After the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, which was carried
out by Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists who came from Pakistan
taking the sea route, the government has been emphasising on
securing the country`s 7,517 km coastline.
The Supreme Court order to postpone pronouncement of the
Ayodhya title suit verdict is also understood to have figured
at the CCS meeting.
The CCS is also believed to have discussed the situation
in Kashmir. An All Party Delegation led by Home Minister
P Chidambaram had visited the state earlier this week.
Another CCS meeting is likely to be held next week to
discuss threadbare the situation in the Valley. The demand of
the J-K government on partial withdrawal of the Armed Forces
Special Powers Act (AFSPA) may come up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister