Govt scuttles Hurriyat rally; Mirwaiz under house arrest
Srinagar: Authorities on Saturday did not allow
moderate Hurriyat Conference to hold a rally at the Eidgah
here following intelligence inputs that chairman of the
amalgam Mirwaiz Umar Farooq might be targeted by militants to
create fresh unrest in the Valley.
Mirwaiz, who had planned a rally on the 21st death
anniversary of his father at the Eidgah, was put under house
arrest after security agencies got inputs that he might be
targeted like Jamiat-e-Ahle Hadees Chief Maulvi Showkat Ahmad
Shah, official said.
This is for the first time in two decades that Mirwaiz
has not been allowed to hold the memorial service for his
"Keeping in view the recent assassination of Maulvi
Showkat and the assassination of Abdul Gani Lone in 2002, the
authorities today decided not to allow the rally scheduled to
be organised by a separatist organisation at Srinagar," police
The decision of not allowing the Hurriyat Conference
rally at Eidgah was taken at a high-level meeting of police,
intelligence and civil administration officials here last
While Mirwaiz Mohammad Farooq, father of the current
Hurriyat Chairman, was killed by militants inside his
residence on this day in 1990, Lone was shot dead by the
ultras at a rally organised by the amalgam at Eidgah in 2002.
Prohibitory orders were imposed in five police station
areas of old city to scuttle the rally.
"Restrictions under section 144 CrPC have been
imposed in five police station areas in the old city," the
The police station areas where restrictions have been
imposed include Maharaj Gunj, Nowhatta, Safa Kadal, Khanyar
Sources said a large number of police and paramilitary
CRPF personnel have been deployed in the five areas to prevent
any gathering of people.
The decision to impose restrictions was taken after
Mirwaiz turned down a request from senior government officials
to cancel his plans of constructing a Martyrs` memorial wall
This is for the first time this year that authorities
have imposed restrictions in any part of the city to foil
separatists` plans of holding a rally.
Mirwaiz yesterday announced that Hurriyat Conference
will lay foundation for a Martyrs? Memorial at the Eidgah
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda