Govt should take steps to give CBI constitutional shape: Omar
Jammu: Government should take steps to give CBI a `constitutional shape` in the wake of the Gauhati High Court order, as it has serious implications for the "very important agency," Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said.
"The Government should think very seriously what steps are needed to be taken to give proper structure and constitutional shape to CBI," Omar told reporters today reacting to Gauhati High Court`s ruling holding as unconstitutional the setting up of the CBI.
He was speaking on the sidelines of inauguration of a four-lane road at Kunjwani in the outskirts of Jammu city.
Replying to a question on Gauhati High Court`s ruling, Omar said "Gauhati High Court`s verdict has immediate effects on CBI".
"After Gauhati High Court, Government has (way out to move) Supreme Court, where they move and get the order stayed or changed--for that we have to wait-let GoI stay the order tomorrow or day after tomorrow," Omar said.
"It is a serious issue. CBI is very important investigating agency," he added. Omar further said "today, very basis or foundation of CBI is questioned-- it is being said that CBI is no entity--After so many years, it has suddenly been felt that CBI is not anything".
Stung by the Gauhati High Court verdict, the Centre has yesterday said it will challenge the judgement in the Supreme Court on Monday and seek an urgent stay since it will affect the functioning of the premier central probe agency.
The curious and unprecedented judgement in which the 1963 resolution--by which the Central Bureau of Investigation was set up--was struck down and described by Additional Solicitor General P P Malhotra as patently wrong. The court yesterday had held that all the actions of CBI were "unconstitutional".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery