Govt`s prerogative to release convicts serving life term: HC
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir High Court has held that it is a prerogative of the government to order release of a convict sentenced to life imprisonment after he serves 20 years.
"It is the domain of the government to consider the case along with the recommendation made and pass the order. Writ of mandamus cannot command the government for passing such order or to release the convict after expiry of 14 years or 20 years without any specific order," Justice Mansoor Ahmad Mir ruled on Friday.
The ruling was delivered by Justice Mir while dismissing the petition of Mohammad Qasim Faktoo, sentenced to life imprisonment in the murder case of human rights activist H N Wanchoo. Faktoo was seeking release as he had completed 20 years in jail in May this year.
Observing that life imprisonment means imprisonment for entire life, the judge held that the judgement was passed "in light of the law laid down by the judgements of the Supreme Court and other courts."
Referring to the argument of counsel for petitioner, Mian Abdul Qayoom, that in terms of Section 57 of Ranbir Penal Code, life imprisonment means imprisonment for 20 years, the court observed that "the argument is devoid of any force as the object of the said section is how to calculate the fractions of terms of punishment and provides that imprisonment for life shall be reckoned as equivalent to imprisonment for 20 years..."
Justice Mir said the contention that the provisions contained in the Jail Manual and Prisons Act mandate that imprisonment for life means 20 years "has no substance".
"The provisions contained in the Jail Manual, Prisons Act and Prisoners Act are just how to regulate and manage the prisoners in the prisons," the court said and cited the apex court`s judgement in G V Godse vs State of Maharashtra in this regard.
Qayoom had argued that Faktoo had earned remission for his good behaviour in the jail and his cumulative period of detention came out to be 20 years which amounted to life imprisonment.
Faktoo was first detained in 1993 under the Public Safety Act but after six years of imprisonment, a TADA court acquitted him of all the charges.
He was re-arrested at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi in 2002 and sentenced to life imprisonment in the murder case of human rights activist H N Wanchoo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced