Grant of special status to J&K a historical blunder: Jaitley
Chandigarh: The BJP on Sunday threatened to launch a movement if the UPA government at the Centre accepts the report of its interlocutors pertaining to special status for Jammu and Kashmir under Article 370.
"We will not sit as silent spectators and once again the nation will see the same movement once launched by (late) Shyama Prasad Mukherjee (the founder of the Bharatiya Jana Sangh)," senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley told a seminar here.
Mukherjee had launched a movement against the entry permit system that prevailed in J&K earlier under which citizens from other parts of the country had to obtain a permit to gain entry, he said.
Mukherjee had also raised his voice against grant of special status to Jammu and Kashmir under article 370, the Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha said.
"It was due to the wrong ideology of (India`s first Prime Minister late Jawaharlal) Nehru that Article 370 was incorporated in J&K," he said.
Carving out of a special status for Jammu and Kashmir was a "historical blunder", Jaitley said.
"The provision was intended to create a separate psyche that we (J&K) are not as much part of India as other states are.
"The history will have to sit in judgment that Nehruvian vision on Kashmir proved costly for India," he said at the seminar "Report of Kashmir Interlocutors".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow