Group appeals to Omar on reduced duration of Amarnath Yatra
Jammu: Baba Yatri Niyas, an organisation
associated with the Amarnath Yatra, on Thursday appealed to Jammu
and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah to look into the
Amarnath Shrine Board`s decision of reducing the pilgrimage`s
duration from 60 to 45 days.
"We appeal to the chief minister to take up this
matter with Governor N N Vohra so that Amarnath Yatra can
start from the auspicious Jaishth Purnima from 15th June 2011
and restore its traditional religious calender," President of
Niyas S M Aggarwal told reporters here.
A deputation of Baba Yatri Niyas, a conglomeration of
several trade, social and religious bodies met Omar last
evening and discussed about the upcoming yatras of Shri
Amarnath and Buda Amarnath and also submitted a memorandum
Aggarwal said that the Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB)
had decided to reduce the duration of Amarnath Yatra by
announcing its commencement date from 29th of June instead of
15th June-- Jaishth Purnima.
"The board has proposed to reduce the duration of
Amaranth Yatra from 60 days to only 45 days, which excludes
the auspicious day of Jaishth Purnima," he said.
The chief minister after listening to the members of
the deputation said the decision regarding the duration of
Amarnath Yatra has to be taken by the SASB, but assured the
members of Niyas that he would speak to Vohra, who is also the
chairman of the board, Aggarwal said.
- Sensex tanks over 200 points on rout in Japan; Nifty below 7,800-mark
- 7th Pay Commission: Govt employees to get higher pay scales than recommended earlier
- AgustaWestland case: Former Air Chief SP Tyagi appears before CBI for questioning
- Beat the summer heat with these five cooling foods!
- Huge jams in Delhi, Noida as diesel taxi drivers protest against SC order