Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: Security forces Tuesday killed a separatist guerrilla in Jammu and Kashmir`s Kupwara district and recovered an AK-47 assault rifle from his possession, police here said.
"Troopers of (counter-insurgency force) 6 Rashtriya Rifles and state police cordoned off an area of Zachaldara forests in Kupwara district following reports about the presence of militants there," a police officer told news agency.
"When asked to surrender, the hiding militants opened fire on the security forces, triggering a gunfight which has now ended. One militant has been killed in the gunfight. One AK-47 rifle has been recovered from the possession of the slain militant whose exact identity is being established. Searches are still on in the area," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him