Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: Security forces Tuesday killed a separatist guerrilla in Jammu and Kashmir`s Kupwara district and recovered an AK-47 assault rifle from his possession, police here said.
"Troopers of (counter-insurgency force) 6 Rashtriya Rifles and state police cordoned off an area of Zachaldara forests in Kupwara district following reports about the presence of militants there," a police officer told news agency.
"When asked to surrender, the hiding militants opened fire on the security forces, triggering a gunfight which has now ended. One militant has been killed in the gunfight. One AK-47 rifle has been recovered from the possession of the slain militant whose exact identity is being established. Searches are still on in the area," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP