Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: Security forces Tuesday killed a separatist guerrilla in Jammu and Kashmir`s Kupwara district and recovered an AK-47 assault rifle from his possession, police here said.
"Troopers of (counter-insurgency force) 6 Rashtriya Rifles and state police cordoned off an area of Zachaldara forests in Kupwara district following reports about the presence of militants there," a police officer told news agency.
"When asked to surrender, the hiding militants opened fire on the security forces, triggering a gunfight which has now ended. One militant has been killed in the gunfight. One AK-47 rifle has been recovered from the possession of the slain militant whose exact identity is being established. Searches are still on in the area," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter