Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: Security forces Tuesday killed a separatist guerrilla in Jammu and Kashmir`s Kupwara district and recovered an AK-47 assault rifle from his possession, police here said.
"Troopers of (counter-insurgency force) 6 Rashtriya Rifles and state police cordoned off an area of Zachaldara forests in Kupwara district following reports about the presence of militants there," a police officer told news agency.
"When asked to surrender, the hiding militants opened fire on the security forces, triggering a gunfight which has now ended. One militant has been killed in the gunfight. One AK-47 rifle has been recovered from the possession of the slain militant whose exact identity is being established. Searches are still on in the area," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH