Gujjar and Bakerwal delegation meets interlocutors
Srinagar: The Gujjar and Bakerwal community on Sunday met the Centre`s interlocutors on Jammu and Kashmir and demanded a separate Pir Panchal Region and a Tribal Hill
A delegation of the community led by Javaid Rahi also stressed the need for grant of social, cultural, economic and political empowerment of community residing in far-flung and difficult areas of the state.
"Gujjars and Bakerwal community, being a suppressed community, deserves special attention of the state and Union governments," Rahi said, adding although Gujjars constitute 20 percent of the population in J&K, their presence is negligible in state affairs.
The delegation claimed that the community possessed a different identity, ideology and culture and the Gujjars demand a separate region with tribal council on the pattern of
Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Councils for Leh and Kargil.
Rahi said they also informed the team about problems being faced by the community and submitted a memorandum, seeking their recommendations for political reservations for
Their other demands included providing shelter and land to the nomad Gujjars who are landless and houseless since 1947. Inclusion of Gojri in the Eighth schedule of the
constitution and strengthening of Gojri wing of state academy of art, culture and languages in the state, he said.
Another Gujjar delegation led by Eshfaq-Ur-Rehman Poswal, president Akhil Bhartiya Gujjar Mahasabha, also met the interlocutors and requested them to visit the areas where the members of the community were living in "unfavourable conditions".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'