Gujjars, Bakerwals in J&K facing food shortage: Tribal org
Srinagar: A front organisation of tribals in
Jammu and Kashmir today said the nomadic Gujjars and Bakerwals
in the higher reaches of the state were facing shortage of
food due to the ongoing unrest in the Valley and demanded that
the government ensure the same for them.
The Tribal Research and Cultural Foundation, a front
organisation of Gujjars in J and K, has written to the Centre
and the state government for providing food, fodder and
medicines to tribal Gujjars and Bakerwals and enabling them to
sustain their way of life in the ongoing situation, Secretary
of Tribal Foundation, Javaid Rahi, said.
In the wake of curfew and strikes in the Valley, the
tribals at upper reaches of Pir Panjal and Zojila hills are
facing shortage of essential commodities.
"The acute shortage of basic amenities in tribal areas
has also forced the nomadic communities to start early
migration towards the planes, two months ahead of their
schedule," Rahi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi