Gujjars demand Gojri research centres in major universities
Jammu: An organisation of Gujjars today
demanded immediate setting up of `Gojri` research centres in
major universities in Jammu and Kashmir as decided in a
meeting chaired by Governor NN Vohra.
"We demand immediate steps to establish Gojri research
centres in JU (Jammu University) and KU (Kashmir University).
University authorities had taken a decision at its council
meeting held under Chairmanship of Vohra in 2008 and should
implement it," Secretary, Tribal Research and Cultural
Foundation, Javed Rahi told reporters here.
The governing council had then taken decided to set up a
full-fledged research centre for development of the Gojri
Demanding intervention of the Governor, who is also
chancellor of Jammu and Kashmir Universities, Rahi said even
the teaching staff for the centre was sanctioned by the
He said the `Gojri` speaking community which constitutes
20 to 25 per cent of the state`s population has been demanding
the establishment of "Gojri department" on the pattern of
`Dogri` and `Kashmiri` departments in the universities.
The state government has already recognised Gojri by
including it in the 6th Schedule of the constitution but till
date no university in the state has included it into their
curriculum, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire