Gujjars demand Gojri research centres in major universities
Jammu: An organisation of Gujjars today
demanded immediate setting up of `Gojri` research centres in
major universities in Jammu and Kashmir as decided in a
meeting chaired by Governor NN Vohra.
"We demand immediate steps to establish Gojri research
centres in JU (Jammu University) and KU (Kashmir University).
University authorities had taken a decision at its council
meeting held under Chairmanship of Vohra in 2008 and should
implement it," Secretary, Tribal Research and Cultural
Foundation, Javed Rahi told reporters here.
The governing council had then taken decided to set up a
full-fledged research centre for development of the Gojri
Demanding intervention of the Governor, who is also
chancellor of Jammu and Kashmir Universities, Rahi said even
the teaching staff for the centre was sanctioned by the
He said the `Gojri` speaking community which constitutes
20 to 25 per cent of the state`s population has been demanding
the establishment of "Gojri department" on the pattern of
`Dogri` and `Kashmiri` departments in the universities.
The state government has already recognised Gojri by
including it in the 6th Schedule of the constitution but till
date no university in the state has included it into their
curriculum, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Preggers Mira Rajput admitted to hospital; hubby Shahid Kapoor's parents hurry to meet bahu!
- 'Spit remark' on PV Sindhu's achievements: Director says fans didn't get his satire, gets TROLLED again
- 2016 Hyundai Elantra: Check out features and specifications
- Institute of Company Secretaries of India Result 2016; Check icsi.edu for ICSI CS Executive Result 2016 declared
- Avoid getting sick this monsoon with these top health tips!