Gujjars in J&K demand primitive tribal group status
Srinagar: The scheduled tribe Gujjars of
Jammu and Kashmir today demanded the status of "primitive
tribal group" in the state with a separate share of
reservation in the category.
The demand was made in a memorandum signed by prominent
representatives of community sent to Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh through Tribal Research and Cultural Foundation -- an
organisation of Gujjars -- with an appeal that they should be
given more special rights and safeguards.
They pushed for a separate share out of the total 10 per
cent reservation available to 12 ST groups in the state with
the plea that Gujjars and Bakerwals are not as forward as to
compete with other tribes, especially with the eight tribes
living in Ladakh region.
Secretary of Tribal Foundation Javaid Rahi said, "We have
pleaded that the Gujjars and Bakerwals who constitute 80 per
cent of tribal population of Jammu and Kashmir deserve special
attention and a fair deal from the Centre and state."
He said Gujjars should be categorised as a primitive
tribal group and without this status the all-round development
of the community could not be possible.
Rahi said under the constitution, those who were
identified as more backward communities among the tribal
population have been categorised as `primitive tribal groups`
(PTGs) and their share in reservation has been separated from
other ST communities. So far, 85 tribal communities have been
identified as PTGs in different states of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened