Gujjars in J&K demand primitive tribal group status
Srinagar: The scheduled tribe Gujjars of
Jammu and Kashmir today demanded the status of "primitive
tribal group" in the state with a separate share of
reservation in the category.
The demand was made in a memorandum signed by prominent
representatives of community sent to Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh through Tribal Research and Cultural Foundation -- an
organisation of Gujjars -- with an appeal that they should be
given more special rights and safeguards.
They pushed for a separate share out of the total 10 per
cent reservation available to 12 ST groups in the state with
the plea that Gujjars and Bakerwals are not as forward as to
compete with other tribes, especially with the eight tribes
living in Ladakh region.
Secretary of Tribal Foundation Javaid Rahi said, "We have
pleaded that the Gujjars and Bakerwals who constitute 80 per
cent of tribal population of Jammu and Kashmir deserve special
attention and a fair deal from the Centre and state."
He said Gujjars should be categorised as a primitive
tribal group and without this status the all-round development
of the community could not be possible.
Rahi said under the constitution, those who were
identified as more backward communities among the tribal
population have been categorised as `primitive tribal groups`
(PTGs) and their share in reservation has been separated from
other ST communities. So far, 85 tribal communities have been
identified as PTGs in different states of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price