Gujjars on hunger strike against alleged embezzlement of funds
Jammu: Members of Gujjar and Bakkerwal communities on Tuesday sat on a 24-hour hunger strike outside the Raj Bhawan to protest against alleged embezzlement of funds in schemes meant for their welfare.
The protesters gathered under the banner of Bhartiya Gujjar Mahasabha (BGM) in front of the Governor`s residence.
Addressing the protesters, BGM president Ehsfaq-ur-Rehman Poswal alleged that due to misappropriation of funds since 1991, the Gujjar and Bakkerwal communities were still backward and deprived of basic amenities.
"We have chosen this day as these people are left with no option but to take the path of agitation to draw the attention of the government," he said and added, "These communities were granted ST status way back in 1991 but so far despite many welfare schemes, these communities are still backward".
He demanded that a high-level commission under a retired Supreme Court or High Court judge be constituted to probe alleged misappropriation of funds and the guilty be brought to book.
He said that such protests will continue in all districts of the state. "In Poonch, we will observe 48-hour hunger strike on January 13," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?