Gulam Rasool Sufi takes over as J-K`s first CIC
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir got its first
Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) when Gulam Rasool Sufi
took the oath of office on Monday.
60-year-old Sufi, currently working as Chief Income
Tax Commissioner (Amritsar circle), was administered the oath
by Governor NN Vohra at a function at the Raj Bhavan.
A high-level three-member panel headed by Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah recommended Sufi`s name for the post on
January 27. PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti and Deputy Chief Minister
Tara Chand were the other members of the committee.
His formal appointment came on February 6. The CIC is
appointed for a period of five years.
Vohra gave his approval after the state government
re-submitted the file with clearance report from Central
Vigilance Commission (CVC). He had earlier returned the file
to the government as it did not carry the mandatory CVC
Sufi, a 1977 batch Indian Revenue Services (IRS)
officer, did his MA in political science from AMU in 1975, M
Phil from JNU in 1977 and MBA from Hull University, UK in
Born in Srinagar on April 13, 1951, he became the
Chief Income Tax Commissioner in 2010.
The Right to Information (RTI) Act was enacted in
Jammu and Kashmir in 2004. While the State Information
Commission is yet to begin work, the government has spent
nearly Rs 8.3 million on the offices and other infrastructure
in the past one year.
Two information commissioners are, however, yet to
Former CIC of India Wajahat Habibullah was named in
2009 to head the state`s RTI watchdog. But he did not join.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!