Gulam Rasool Sufi takes over as J-K`s first CIC
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir got its first
Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) when Gulam Rasool Sufi
took the oath of office on Monday.
60-year-old Sufi, currently working as Chief Income
Tax Commissioner (Amritsar circle), was administered the oath
by Governor NN Vohra at a function at the Raj Bhavan.
A high-level three-member panel headed by Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah recommended Sufi`s name for the post on
January 27. PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti and Deputy Chief Minister
Tara Chand were the other members of the committee.
His formal appointment came on February 6. The CIC is
appointed for a period of five years.
Vohra gave his approval after the state government
re-submitted the file with clearance report from Central
Vigilance Commission (CVC). He had earlier returned the file
to the government as it did not carry the mandatory CVC
Sufi, a 1977 batch Indian Revenue Services (IRS)
officer, did his MA in political science from AMU in 1975, M
Phil from JNU in 1977 and MBA from Hull University, UK in
Born in Srinagar on April 13, 1951, he became the
Chief Income Tax Commissioner in 2010.
The Right to Information (RTI) Act was enacted in
Jammu and Kashmir in 2004. While the State Information
Commission is yet to begin work, the government has spent
nearly Rs 8.3 million on the offices and other infrastructure
in the past one year.
Two information commissioners are, however, yet to
Former CIC of India Wajahat Habibullah was named in
2009 to head the state`s RTI watchdog. But he did not join.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested