Gulam Rasool Sufi takes over as J-K`s first CIC
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir got its first
Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) when Gulam Rasool Sufi
took the oath of office on Monday.
60-year-old Sufi, currently working as Chief Income
Tax Commissioner (Amritsar circle), was administered the oath
by Governor NN Vohra at a function at the Raj Bhavan.
A high-level three-member panel headed by Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah recommended Sufi`s name for the post on
January 27. PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti and Deputy Chief Minister
Tara Chand were the other members of the committee.
His formal appointment came on February 6. The CIC is
appointed for a period of five years.
Vohra gave his approval after the state government
re-submitted the file with clearance report from Central
Vigilance Commission (CVC). He had earlier returned the file
to the government as it did not carry the mandatory CVC
Sufi, a 1977 batch Indian Revenue Services (IRS)
officer, did his MA in political science from AMU in 1975, M
Phil from JNU in 1977 and MBA from Hull University, UK in
Born in Srinagar on April 13, 1951, he became the
Chief Income Tax Commissioner in 2010.
The Right to Information (RTI) Act was enacted in
Jammu and Kashmir in 2004. While the State Information
Commission is yet to begin work, the government has spent
nearly Rs 8.3 million on the offices and other infrastructure
in the past one year.
Two information commissioners are, however, yet to
Former CIC of India Wajahat Habibullah was named in
2009 to head the state`s RTI watchdog. But he did not join.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!