Gulmarg shivers at minus two degrees Celsius
Srinagar: With the minimum temperature falling six degrees below normal, North Kashmir`s ski resort town of Gulmarg on Saturday shivered at minus 2.3 degrees Celsius. Incessant rains and thundershowers affected normal life across the Valley, an official here said.
"The minimum temperature in Gulmarg fell to minus 2.3 degrees Celsius on Saturday which is six degrees below normal," Sonam Lotus, director of the local weather office, said.
"The minimum was 5.7 degrees in Srinagar, 3.4 degrees in Pahalgam, 2.4 degrees in Leh and 2.4 degrees in Kargil towns," said Lotus.
"The weather is likely to improve today (Saturday) onwards and we are expecting sunny days ahead," Lotus said.
Hundreds of tourists in the famed ski resort town were seen wrapping themselves with woollens.
"I have seen such a cold night for the first time in my life," said Sunita Chopra, 18, a tourist.
During the last three days people here were seen wearing the traditional pherans, the traditional tweed cloak worn over garments.
"Not only the pheran, I have also been using the `kangri (earthen firepot woven in willow wicker baskets) for the last three days. It has been really cold," said Nazir Ahmad, 42, a resident of north Kashmir Ganderbal district.
Water level in most local rivers rose because of heavy rainfall. Waterlogging in some low lying areas of Srinagar caused trouble for the residents.
"Waterlogging is a major problem in our area," said Abdul Hamid, 46, a resident of Bemina residential area here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened