Gulmarg shivers at minus two degrees Celsius
Srinagar: With the minimum temperature falling six degrees below normal, North Kashmir`s ski resort town of Gulmarg on Saturday shivered at minus 2.3 degrees Celsius. Incessant rains and thundershowers affected normal life across the Valley, an official here said.
"The minimum temperature in Gulmarg fell to minus 2.3 degrees Celsius on Saturday which is six degrees below normal," Sonam Lotus, director of the local weather office, said.
"The minimum was 5.7 degrees in Srinagar, 3.4 degrees in Pahalgam, 2.4 degrees in Leh and 2.4 degrees in Kargil towns," said Lotus.
"The weather is likely to improve today (Saturday) onwards and we are expecting sunny days ahead," Lotus said.
Hundreds of tourists in the famed ski resort town were seen wrapping themselves with woollens.
"I have seen such a cold night for the first time in my life," said Sunita Chopra, 18, a tourist.
During the last three days people here were seen wearing the traditional pherans, the traditional tweed cloak worn over garments.
"Not only the pheran, I have also been using the `kangri (earthen firepot woven in willow wicker baskets) for the last three days. It has been really cold," said Nazir Ahmad, 42, a resident of north Kashmir Ganderbal district.
Water level in most local rivers rose because of heavy rainfall. Waterlogging in some low lying areas of Srinagar caused trouble for the residents.
"Waterlogging is a major problem in our area," said Abdul Hamid, 46, a resident of Bemina residential area here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen