Gunmen kill contractor in Kashmir
Srinagar: A contractor was kidnapped and later killed by unidentified gunmen in Jammu and Kashmir`s Pulwama district, police said here on Saturday.
"Muhammad Shafi Wani of Aglar village in Pulwama was kidnapped by unidentified gunmen on Friday evening. His body was found near the village around midnight. We have registered a case and an investigation is on," a senior police official said.
In a separate incident on Friday, militants killed a village sarpanch in Bomai village near Sopore town in the state`s Baramulla district.
This was the third killing of an elected village representative in the state since their election in 2011.
Thousands of elected sarpanches and panches have been demanding security from the government in view of the threat posed by separatist guerrillas in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley