Gunmen kill contractor in Kashmir
Srinagar: A contractor was kidnapped and later killed by unidentified gunmen in Jammu and Kashmir`s Pulwama district, police said here on Saturday.
"Muhammad Shafi Wani of Aglar village in Pulwama was kidnapped by unidentified gunmen on Friday evening. His body was found near the village around midnight. We have registered a case and an investigation is on," a senior police official said.
In a separate incident on Friday, militants killed a village sarpanch in Bomai village near Sopore town in the state`s Baramulla district.
This was the third killing of an elected village representative in the state since their election in 2011.
Thousands of elected sarpanches and panches have been demanding security from the government in view of the threat posed by separatist guerrillas in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family