Gunmen kill imam in J&K village
Srinagar: Unidentified gunmen killed the imam (priest) of a South Kashmir mosque late Friday night, police here said.
"Unidentified gunmen shot at Mudasir Ahmad Mir, imam of a mosque in Lassipora village of Pulwama district late last night as he stepped out of the mosque. He died on the spot," a police officer said here.
Earlier Friday, guerrillas had killed an assistant sub-inspector of police (ASI) in Pulwama town in a hit-and-run attack.
The Hizbul Mujahideen guerrilla group had owned responsibility for the ASI`s killing. A caller claiming to be the spokesman of the outfit telephoned a local news agency Friday evening to claim responsibility for the attack.
Last month, militants had killed four local policemen in north Kashmir Hygam village of Baramulla district. Hizbul Mujahideen militants had forced a village head to lure the police party to the village where they were ambushed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional