Gunmen kill imam in J&K village
Srinagar: Unidentified gunmen killed the imam (priest) of a South Kashmir mosque late Friday night, police here said.
"Unidentified gunmen shot at Mudasir Ahmad Mir, imam of a mosque in Lassipora village of Pulwama district late last night as he stepped out of the mosque. He died on the spot," a police officer said here.
Earlier Friday, guerrillas had killed an assistant sub-inspector of police (ASI) in Pulwama town in a hit-and-run attack.
The Hizbul Mujahideen guerrilla group had owned responsibility for the ASI`s killing. A caller claiming to be the spokesman of the outfit telephoned a local news agency Friday evening to claim responsibility for the attack.
Last month, militants had killed four local policemen in north Kashmir Hygam village of Baramulla district. Hizbul Mujahideen militants had forced a village head to lure the police party to the village where they were ambushed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands