Guns fall silent along international border in J&K
Jammu: After five days of skirmishes along the International Border in the sector, guns fell silent Monday with no firing from the Pakistan side.
"There was no firing or mortar shelling by Pakistani Rangers since last night and calm has returned to the IB," a BSF official told PTI.
Guns have fallen silent after the befitting reply to the firing by Pakistan yesterday, he said.
But the fear and threat of firing and shelling of mortars is prevalent among the population along the IB in R S Pura and Arnia sub-sectors of Jammu district.
"The threat of unprovoked firing is there. But we have already made arrangements for safe shelters and identified them for shifting the border people in case of increased Pak firing and shelling," Divisional Commissioner Jammu division Shant Manu said.
"The situation has now returned to normalcy as firing has come to a halt," he said.
In a major ceasefire violation yesterday, Pakistan Rangers indulged in heavy firing and shelling of mortar bombs on 15 border outposts ((BoPs) and several villages along the International Border in Jammu district, damaging houses and killing livestock.
The firing and shelling targeted the BoPs and several border hamlets in Arnia and R S Pura belts of Jammu district since 0200 hours till 0600 hours yesterday, a senior government official had said.
The official said BSF troops guarding the borderline retaliated to Pakistan shelling, resulting in exchanges, which continued till yesterday morning.
Villages and BoP areas of Bakarpur, Gharna, Sai, Kaku-de-Kothey, Pittal, Pindi, Kaku-di-Kottay, Channa, Pindi Chadka, Pindi Camp, Jabowal, Abdullian, Karotona, Bega, Bera, Nikowal, Chandu Chak and Suchetgarh were affected in the fresh round of firing from across the border.
Voicing concern over repeated ceasefire violations, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah yesterday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi should take up the issue with Pakistan.
"We are not worried about China now because they don`t harm us anymore. But it (ceasefire violation) has increased from Pakistan`s side and is a matter of great concern as they are hampering life. I want the PM to talk to Pakistan authorities that it`s not right," Omar had said.
This was the fifth ceasefire violation since July 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read