Guru clemency: J&K MLA won’t attend session
Srinagar: Independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid, whose resolution seeking clemency for Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru was stalled from being discussed in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly, on Saturday said he will not attend the ongoing session.
"I met the Governor yesterday and informed him about the drama enacted in the Assembly on September 28 when the resolution for Guru was slated to be discussed. I have sought his intervention in getting the resolution tabled again in the present session," Rashid told reporters here.
The MLA from Langate said the Governor assured him that he would communicate to him the possibility of the resolution being taken up for discussion again after going into the legalities involved.
"I have decided not to attend the ongoing session till the Governor informs me about the decision," he said. Rashid, who has not attended the proceedings after the resolution could not be discussed due to pandemonium by BJP and Congress MLAs, said he had no moral right to take part in the proceedings when he could not represent the sentiments of the people in the Assembly.
"National Conference, PDP and Congress could not dare to oppose the resolution in public. That should have conveyed the sentiments of the people that they wanted the resolution to be passed," he said.
On the death of a National Conference worker under mysterious circumstances, Rashid said he welcomed the judicial inquiry ordered by the government.
"However, this speaks of double standards....why was judicial inquiry not ordered in custodial killings of ordinary people?," he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened