Guru`s hanging has led to trust deficit in Kashmir
Srinagar: The Peoples Democratic Party today said the execution of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru has reinforced the sense of denial of justice among the Kashmiri people.
Party president Mehbooba Mufti said the feeling among people of the state that they have been treated "differently and unjustly" has been vindicated by the "myopic handling" of Guru`s case.
At present, there is a clear perception among people that Guru was hanged with political motives and Kashmir has been made a pawn in the electoral politics, she said here.
Calling for a careful observation of long-term repercussions of the execution on the psyche of Kashmiri people, she asked the Centre to revisit its approach towards Jammu and Kashmir and the problems faced by it.
Mehbooba asserted that hanging of Guru comes in backdrop of various instances of human rights violations in the state which have not been probed properly.
"The roots of alienation lie in this application of double standards and unless it is addressed with boldness and an open mind, it will be difficult to resolve Kashmir issue," she added.
Reiterating her party`s demand for the return of Afzal`s body to his family, Mehbooba said it is painful to hear the Union Home Minster offering "to consider their request to visit his grave."
She said after denying the family its inalienable right to meet Afzal before the execution, it was bizarre on part of the government to show a postal receipt as a piece of evidence.
Mehbooba also demanded immediate lifting of curfew from the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video