Guru`s hanging has led to trust deficit in Kashmir
Srinagar: The Peoples Democratic Party today said the execution of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru has reinforced the sense of denial of justice among the Kashmiri people.
Party president Mehbooba Mufti said the feeling among people of the state that they have been treated "differently and unjustly" has been vindicated by the "myopic handling" of Guru`s case.
At present, there is a clear perception among people that Guru was hanged with political motives and Kashmir has been made a pawn in the electoral politics, she said here.
Calling for a careful observation of long-term repercussions of the execution on the psyche of Kashmiri people, she asked the Centre to revisit its approach towards Jammu and Kashmir and the problems faced by it.
Mehbooba asserted that hanging of Guru comes in backdrop of various instances of human rights violations in the state which have not been probed properly.
"The roots of alienation lie in this application of double standards and unless it is addressed with boldness and an open mind, it will be difficult to resolve Kashmir issue," she added.
Reiterating her party`s demand for the return of Afzal`s body to his family, Mehbooba said it is painful to hear the Union Home Minster offering "to consider their request to visit his grave."
She said after denying the family its inalienable right to meet Afzal before the execution, it was bizarre on part of the government to show a postal receipt as a piece of evidence.
Mehbooba also demanded immediate lifting of curfew from the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy