Guru`s hanging: Shutdown called in Kashmir
Srinagar: Separatist outfits Monday gave a call for a shutdown in Kashmir Valley on Friday to protest hanging of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru.
Hurriyat hawk Syed Ali Shah Geelani, who is under house arrest in Delhi, issued a protest schedule for this week.
"There is no alternative for us but to come out on the streets in protest against the decision (to hang Guru)", said the chairman of the hardline faction of the Hurriyat.
In a statement issued by his amalgam here, Geelani said civil curfew would be observed on Wednesday and Thursday.
A shutdown would be observed after Friday prayers which would be followed by peaceful protests across the Valley, he said.
The future course of action would be announced on Friday, Geelani said.
Moderate Hurriyat Conference, headed by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, and JKLF had also given a call for a shutdown on Friday.
Geelani-led faction used to issue weekly protest calendars during the 2010 summer unrest in the Valley that left 120 people dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest