Guru`s hanging: Shutdown called in Kashmir
Srinagar: Separatist outfits Monday gave a call for a shutdown in Kashmir Valley on Friday to protest hanging of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru.
Hurriyat hawk Syed Ali Shah Geelani, who is under house arrest in Delhi, issued a protest schedule for this week.
"There is no alternative for us but to come out on the streets in protest against the decision (to hang Guru)", said the chairman of the hardline faction of the Hurriyat.
In a statement issued by his amalgam here, Geelani said civil curfew would be observed on Wednesday and Thursday.
A shutdown would be observed after Friday prayers which would be followed by peaceful protests across the Valley, he said.
The future course of action would be announced on Friday, Geelani said.
Moderate Hurriyat Conference, headed by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, and JKLF had also given a call for a shutdown on Friday.
Geelani-led faction used to issue weekly protest calendars during the 2010 summer unrest in the Valley that left 120 people dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi