Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Police on Wednesday suspended an Assistant Sub Inspector for allegedly opening fire on a mob in Handwara which was protesting against an alleged case of molestation.
The death toll due to yesterday's firing by the security forces rose to three on Wednesday as another critically injured civilian died this morning, according to officials.
Doctors at the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) in Srinagar said Raja Begum, 54, who had been admitted to the super specialty hospital on Tuesday, succumbed to a critical bullet injury.
Twenty-two year old Muhammad Iqbal and 21-year old Nayeem Bhat had died on Tuesday after clashes erupted in Handwara town between the security forces and a stone pelting mob.
Trouble erupted after locals alleged that a girl had been molested by an Army jawan in the town.
The girl, however, completely ruled out molesttation by the army jawan.
Authorities have, meanwhile, imposed curfew in Handwara town where tension has increased further after reports of death of another civilian reached the town.
Following appeals for a valley-wide shutdown by separatist leaders to protest Handwara firing, authorities today imposed restrictions in six police station areas of Rainawari, Nowhatta, Khanyar, MR Gunj, Safa Kadal and Maisuma in Srinagar city.
District magistrate Srinagar, Farooq Ahmad Lone has said the imposed restrictions will not apply to the members of the Sikh community who are free to move about in areas placed under restrictions because of the Sikh festival of Baisakhi.
J&K Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti also spoke to Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar who assured her of a probe. Mehbooba, who is on her maiden visit to the national capital after assuming the post of CM, said the incident was "very unfortunate".
"I spoke to Defence Minister. He assured me that a probe will be initiated and the culprits will be punished. At the same time the family will be compensated. Such incidents should not happen in the future," she said after meeting Parrikar.
Mehbooba said the security personnel involved in the fire which resulted in the death of three people will be given exemplary punishment as such incidents cannot be tolerated since these have a "negative impact" on the state government's efforts to consolidate peace efforts.
The burial of the two youth killed yesterday is expected to take place today.
The security forces must exercise maximum restraint and adhere to the Standing Operating Procedure (SOP) while dealing with the public protests as incidents of innocent killings cannot be tolerated, she said, while expressing solidarity with the families of the two youth.