Hardline Hurriyat distances itself from grand mufti`s decree
Srinagar: The hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference today distanced itself from the `decree` against singing issued by grand mufti of Jammu and Kashmir and dismissed as "mere propaganda" the reported threats to the Valley`s maiden all-girls rock-band.
"We disassociate ourselves from the `fatwa` issued by Mufti Bashiruddin (grand mufti of Jammu and Kashmir). People do not recognise him as grand mufti (chief cleric)... Only the government recognises him," Hurriyat Conference spokesman Ayaz Akbar told PTI.
Akbar termed the decrees issued by the grand mufti as "mysterious" saying such things give rise to "lawlessness in the society".
"It is mysterious...The way he issues fatwas...It arises lawlessness," Akbar said, adding fatwas can be issued only when a nation is governed under Shariah rule.
The Hurriyat spokesman also dismissed as "mere propaganda" the reported threats to the rock-band `Pragaash`, saying "a big bomb is being made out of the issue".
"There is no threat to the girls. Nobody has issued any threats. It is a mere propaganda by Indian media and they are making a big bomb out of a normal issue to defame Kashmiris," he said.
Akbar said some youngsters posting abuses on social networking sites cannot be termed as threat, adding Hurriyat does not support such abuse or coercion and force in any way.
The teenage girls, who came to limelight in late December last year after their scintillating performance at the annual `Battle of the Bands` competition here received online threats and absurd comments, leaving their parents a worried lot and forcing them to keep a low profile.
The girls had defied the convention by stepping into the male-dominated bastion and faced online threats and abuses from conservative sections of the society.
Grand mufti Bashiruddin Ahmad yesterday issued a decree terming singing as un-Islamic.
"I have said that singing is not in accordance with Islamic teachings," Ahmad told PTI yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo