Hardline Hurriyat leader Geelani released
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference
leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani was Saturday released, two days
after he was arrested from his Hyderpora residence here as a
"Geelani has been released by the police and has
reached home," a spokesman for the hardline Hurriyat
Geelani was arrested under Sections 107 (under which
any person can be placed under arrest who instigates a
crowd which may lead to law and order problem) and 151 of
Geelani, who has been issuing weekly agitation
calendars, was arrested after he announced that he would
offer Eid-ul-Fitr prayers at Hazratbal. The authorities deemed
the move of the separatist leader as prejudicial to public
Geelani was earlier arrested on June 20 after the law
and order situation in the Kashmir Valley deteriorated. He was
released on August 4.
The hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman has put
forth five demands before the Centre for initiating a dialogue
process for resolution of the Kashmir issue, including
declaring Kashmir as an "international dispute", initiating of
process of complete demilitarisation in the state and
commitment from Prime Minister that "no further killings or
arrests shall take place in J&K".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack