Hawala funds: Former militant arrested in Rajouri
Jammu: In its attempt to curtail the flow of hawala money to militants operating in the Kashmir Valley, the state police have arrested one more person from Rajouri district.
Former militant Qaiser Sajjad Mir was held from Thana Mandi area of Rajouri on Wednesday.
Qaiser`s arrest came two days after Farooq Ahmad was arrested by the police along with Rs 95,000 hawala money from the same area.
"We have arrested Qaiser Sajjad Mir from Thana Mandi area yesterday. His arrest comes after Farooq Ahmad revealed his involvement in distributing the hawala money to the militant outfits in the state," Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO), Thanamandi, Majid-ur-Rehman, said on Thursday.
Qaiser, 35, is the vice-chairman of Jammu and Kashmir Peoples Movement (JKPM) and a former militant, who had been earlier detained under the Public safety Act (PSA).
Farooq, during questioning has revealed that Qaiser`s father and former militant G A Mir played an instrumental role in the distribution of the money as it was through him that the amount was diverted to the different militant outfits of the state, the officer said.
He added that during the investigations it came to the fore that the money originated from Pakistan and was routed to the state through Saudi Arabia.
"Farooq has one of his cousin`s based in Saudi Arabia, named Almar. He used to get the money from one Dr Majid Malik in Pakistan. Almar then used to route that money to Farooq, who in turn forwarded it to Mir," the officer said.
The father-son duo over the years have received lakhs of rupees in their account and distributed it to different militant organisations after keeping their share of the money, he said.
"Majeed Malik, on the other hand, is a former terrorist from district Rajouri who is now settled in Pakistan and is an important clog in the circulation of hawala money," Rehman said.
The officer, meanwhile, said that investigations were on in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now