HC gives one month time on fake encounter issue
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir High Court
Wednesday gave a month`s time to Defence Ministry to submit its
response to a petition filed by a woman alleging fake
encounter killing of her son in 2001 in an incident involving
Lt Gen Bikram Singh, a top contender for the post of Army
Justice Hasnain Masoodi gave four weeks time to the
counsel of Defence Ministry, Union of India, to file
objections to the petition filed by one Zaituna, who has
claimed that her son was killed in a fake encounter in March
2001 at Janglat Mandi in Anantnag District and later branded
as a foreign militant.
The state government and SSP Anantnag, who are the other
respondents in the case, have already filed their objections
to the petition, pleading it be dismissed as it was not
The SSP Anantnag, in his report, denied the claim of the
petitioners that they had approached the police authorities of
the district for many years seeking a reinvestigation of the
It said the NGO, YES Kashmir, approached the police only
last year with an application and claimed that the promoter
had "vested interest" as he was a former militant with two
cases pending against him.
Eastern Army Commander Lt Gen Bikram Singh, who was then
a Brigadier commanding the Rashtriya Rifles in South Kashmir,
was injured in a militant attack that left four persons,
including an Army officer and two civilians dead.
Another person was killed in the retaliatory action of
the Army and police later identified him as Ghulam Mohiuddin
Ramzie alias Mateen Chacha, a resident of Pakistan.
Zaituna, a resident of Kalaroos in North Kashmir`s
Kupwara district, filed the petition before the High Court
last year claiming that the alleged militant was her son
Abdullah Bhat, who was not involved in militancy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi