HC gives one month time on fake encounter issue
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir High Court
Wednesday gave a month`s time to Defence Ministry to submit its
response to a petition filed by a woman alleging fake
encounter killing of her son in 2001 in an incident involving
Lt Gen Bikram Singh, a top contender for the post of Army
Justice Hasnain Masoodi gave four weeks time to the
counsel of Defence Ministry, Union of India, to file
objections to the petition filed by one Zaituna, who has
claimed that her son was killed in a fake encounter in March
2001 at Janglat Mandi in Anantnag District and later branded
as a foreign militant.
The state government and SSP Anantnag, who are the other
respondents in the case, have already filed their objections
to the petition, pleading it be dismissed as it was not
The SSP Anantnag, in his report, denied the claim of the
petitioners that they had approached the police authorities of
the district for many years seeking a reinvestigation of the
It said the NGO, YES Kashmir, approached the police only
last year with an application and claimed that the promoter
had "vested interest" as he was a former militant with two
cases pending against him.
Eastern Army Commander Lt Gen Bikram Singh, who was then
a Brigadier commanding the Rashtriya Rifles in South Kashmir,
was injured in a militant attack that left four persons,
including an Army officer and two civilians dead.
Another person was killed in the retaliatory action of
the Army and police later identified him as Ghulam Mohiuddin
Ramzie alias Mateen Chacha, a resident of Pakistan.
Zaituna, a resident of Kalaroos in North Kashmir`s
Kupwara district, filed the petition before the High Court
last year claiming that the alleged militant was her son
Abdullah Bhat, who was not involved in militancy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested