Head of religious institute in J&K held on rape charges
Srinagar: A head of a religious institute was arrested in Budgam district of Jammu and Kashmir following alleged complaints of rape against him by girl students of the institute, police said.
Gulzar Ahmad Bhat, who is running the institute in Khansahib area, was arrested after police received joint complaints from four minor girls, alleging that he has been sexually exploiting them over a period of time, police said.
A case has been registered in Khansahib police station and the investigations are in progress, they said.
The statements of the victims have been recorded before the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate, Budgam which corroborate the complaint, police said.
The victims, who hail from different districts of the Valley, have been medically examined and the report is awaited.
The investigation reveals that the institute was running for several years and the boarding and lodging is being provided to the students by the head, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened