Heavy rain forecast for Kashmir, farmers worried
Srinagar: In more worry for farmers, the weather office on Friday forecast heavy rainfall at some places in the Kashmir Valley during the next 36 hours.
"There has been heavy rainfall in the Jammu region for the past 24 hours. We are expecting the same weather system to continue for the next 36 hours during which some places in the Kashmir Valley can receive heavy rainfall," Sonum Lotus, director of the local weather office, told a news agency on Friday.
"We have recorded six centimetres of rain in Jammu region. In the Kashmir Valley, most places have been receiving light to moderate rainfall for the past 24 hours," he said.
Lotus, however, said the weather would start improving from coming Monday onwards.
Kashmir has received deficit rainfall during the months of May, June and July which resulted in drought like conditions at some places especially in north Kashmir districts.
The month of September is usually regarded as dry and sunny during which most paddy harvesting takes place across the Kashmir Valley.
The present wet weather conditions are, however, worrying the local farmers.
"Rains are normally not needed by the paddy crop now which is in the ripening stage these days. The present rains can damage our crops. Ripening is also going to be delayed because of wet weather," said Ali Muhammad, a farmer in central Kashmir`s Badgam district, about 20 km from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February