Heavy rain forecast for Kashmir, farmers worried
Srinagar: In more worry for farmers, the weather office on Friday forecast heavy rainfall at some places in the Kashmir Valley during the next 36 hours.
"There has been heavy rainfall in the Jammu region for the past 24 hours. We are expecting the same weather system to continue for the next 36 hours during which some places in the Kashmir Valley can receive heavy rainfall," Sonum Lotus, director of the local weather office, told a news agency on Friday.
"We have recorded six centimetres of rain in Jammu region. In the Kashmir Valley, most places have been receiving light to moderate rainfall for the past 24 hours," he said.
Lotus, however, said the weather would start improving from coming Monday onwards.
Kashmir has received deficit rainfall during the months of May, June and July which resulted in drought like conditions at some places especially in north Kashmir districts.
The month of September is usually regarded as dry and sunny during which most paddy harvesting takes place across the Kashmir Valley.
The present wet weather conditions are, however, worrying the local farmers.
"Rains are normally not needed by the paddy crop now which is in the ripening stage these days. The present rains can damage our crops. Ripening is also going to be delayed because of wet weather," said Ali Muhammad, a farmer in central Kashmir`s Badgam district, about 20 km from here.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!