Heavy rush of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine
Jammu: With about 35,000 devotees each day in this holiday season, authorities have been forced to regulate entry to the Mata Vaishno Devi shrine near Jammu.
According to Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board (SMVDSB) officials, about 35,000 pilgrims have been reaching the base camp Katra, about 45 km from here, daily for the last one week.
"But the number has reached 39,000 in the last two days, forcing the suspension of the pilgrimage. Pilgrims are now being stopped at Katra. They are allowed to move on once the rush of pilgrims on the 12 km trek and the shrine thins out," the officials said.
They said SMVDSB was taking care of maintaining facilities like boarding, lodging, food, security, water and electricity to cope with the heavy influx of pilgrims.
On Monday, an estimated 38,000 pilgrims had reached the shrine while over 5,000 were stopped at Katra. "We expect 35,000 pilgrims daily during these summer vacation months. This number could rise on weekends," said an official.
The number of pilgrims visiting the Vaishno Devi shrine annually had crossed the 10 million mark last year, while this year the number till now is about 32 lakh.
The Vaishno Devi shrine is nestled in a cave in the Trikuta Hills at a height of 5,200 feet and is a 12 km trek away from Katra. Pilgrims have the choice of covering this trek on foot, ponies, palanquins or helicopters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre