Heavy rush of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine
Jammu: With about 35,000 devotees each day in this holiday season, authorities have been forced to regulate entry to the Mata Vaishno Devi shrine near Jammu.
According to Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board (SMVDSB) officials, about 35,000 pilgrims have been reaching the base camp Katra, about 45 km from here, daily for the last one week.
"But the number has reached 39,000 in the last two days, forcing the suspension of the pilgrimage. Pilgrims are now being stopped at Katra. They are allowed to move on once the rush of pilgrims on the 12 km trek and the shrine thins out," the officials said.
They said SMVDSB was taking care of maintaining facilities like boarding, lodging, food, security, water and electricity to cope with the heavy influx of pilgrims.
On Monday, an estimated 38,000 pilgrims had reached the shrine while over 5,000 were stopped at Katra. "We expect 35,000 pilgrims daily during these summer vacation months. This number could rise on weekends," said an official.
The number of pilgrims visiting the Vaishno Devi shrine annually had crossed the 10 million mark last year, while this year the number till now is about 32 lakh.
The Vaishno Devi shrine is nestled in a cave in the Trikuta Hills at a height of 5,200 feet and is a 12 km trek away from Katra. Pilgrims have the choice of covering this trek on foot, ponies, palanquins or helicopters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA