Heavy snowfall at Vaishnodevi shrine
Jammu: The cave shrine of Mata Vaishnodevi on Trikuta Hills in Jammu and Kashmir`s Reasi district received heavy snowfall, even as thousands of pilgrims reached there to offer prayers on the first day of the new year on Wednesday.
There was heavy snowfall at the cave shrine and entire Trikuta Hills during the night, officials of Shri Mata Vaishnodevi Shrine Board (SMVSB) said today.
Bhawan--the abode of Mata Vashno Devi-- received nearly one foot snowfall while Bharov Ghati received more than one foot snowfall, they said.
Despite the cold wave conditions and snowfall, thousands of pilgrims were making a beeline at the cave shrine and enroute to pay obeisance at the shrine.
Over 45,000 pilgrims had arrived in Katra, the base camp of the shrine, in past two days to offer prayers on the first day of the year, the officials said.
They, however, maintained that the yatra is going on smoothly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- No trace of missing IAF AN-32 plane as yet; Defence Minister undertakes aerial survey
- 'Dishoom' promotions: Catch Jacqueline Fernandez-John Abraham-Varun Dhawan on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Indian aid worker kidnapped in Afghanistan released
- Turkey will adhere to democratic principles, rule of law: Deputy PM
- Hallmark, ISI Mark, BEE Label –Know which certification marks are important for products you buy