Heavy snowfall at Vaishnodevi shrine
Jammu: The cave shrine of Mata Vaishnodevi on Trikuta Hills in Jammu and Kashmir`s Reasi district received heavy snowfall, even as thousands of pilgrims reached there to offer prayers on the first day of the new year on Wednesday.
There was heavy snowfall at the cave shrine and entire Trikuta Hills during the night, officials of Shri Mata Vaishnodevi Shrine Board (SMVSB) said today.
Bhawan--the abode of Mata Vashno Devi-- received nearly one foot snowfall while Bharov Ghati received more than one foot snowfall, they said.
Despite the cold wave conditions and snowfall, thousands of pilgrims were making a beeline at the cave shrine and enroute to pay obeisance at the shrine.
Over 45,000 pilgrims had arrived in Katra, the base camp of the shrine, in past two days to offer prayers on the first day of the year, the officials said.
They, however, maintained that the yatra is going on smoothly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH