Heavy snowfall at Vaishnodevi shrine
Jammu: The cave shrine of Mata Vaishnodevi on Trikuta Hills in Jammu and Kashmir`s Reasi district received heavy snowfall, even as thousands of pilgrims reached there to offer prayers on the first day of the new year on Wednesday.
There was heavy snowfall at the cave shrine and entire Trikuta Hills during the night, officials of Shri Mata Vaishnodevi Shrine Board (SMVSB) said today.
Bhawan--the abode of Mata Vashno Devi-- received nearly one foot snowfall while Bharov Ghati received more than one foot snowfall, they said.
Despite the cold wave conditions and snowfall, thousands of pilgrims were making a beeline at the cave shrine and enroute to pay obeisance at the shrine.
Over 45,000 pilgrims had arrived in Katra, the base camp of the shrine, in past two days to offer prayers on the first day of the year, the officials said.
They, however, maintained that the yatra is going on smoothly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Fire in Hauz Khas Village, one found dead
- Premier League 2016-17: Sunderland struggling to match rivals financially, says David Moyes
- England won't force players to tour Bangladesh, says skipper Eoin Morgan
- Uttar Pradesh Speaker to decide on disqualification of Swamy Prasad Maurya
- Public figures must face criticism, don't misuse state machinery: SC to J Jayalalithaa