Heavy snowfall at Vaishnodevi shrine
Jammu: The cave shrine of Mata Vaishnodevi on Trikuta Hills in Jammu and Kashmir`s Reasi district received heavy snowfall, even as thousands of pilgrims reached there to offer prayers on the first day of the new year on Wednesday.
There was heavy snowfall at the cave shrine and entire Trikuta Hills during the night, officials of Shri Mata Vaishnodevi Shrine Board (SMVSB) said today.
Bhawan--the abode of Mata Vashno Devi-- received nearly one foot snowfall while Bharov Ghati received more than one foot snowfall, they said.
Despite the cold wave conditions and snowfall, thousands of pilgrims were making a beeline at the cave shrine and enroute to pay obeisance at the shrine.
Over 45,000 pilgrims had arrived in Katra, the base camp of the shrine, in past two days to offer prayers on the first day of the year, the officials said.
They, however, maintained that the yatra is going on smoothly.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India