Heavy snowfall fails to deter Vaishnodevi pilgrims
Jammu: The Vaishnodevi pilgrimage is going
on despite snowfall continuing in and around the cave shrine
in Jammu and Kashmir`s Reasi district, officials said.
"Snowfall is continuing in and around the Mata
Vaishnodevi shrine. There is already four to five inches of
snowfall triggering extreme cold conditions," they said.
The shrine and its adjoining area at Trikuta hills
received the season`s first snowfall on January 6.
Despite the cold condition, the pilgrimage is going on
smoothly and over 5,000 pilgrims are undertaking yatra to the
shrine, they said.
Helicopter services for the pilgrims have been suspended
in view of the snowfall, they said.
There has been continuous snowfall in Bhaderwah, Batote,
Kishtwar, Patnitop, Banihal, Pir Panchal ranges in Poonch and
Rajouri districts, besides Bani, Mahore areas in Kathua and
Reasi districts since yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa