Heavy snowfall fails to deter Vaishnodevi pilgrims
Jammu: The Vaishnodevi pilgrimage is going
on despite snowfall continuing in and around the cave shrine
in Jammu and Kashmir`s Reasi district, officials said.
"Snowfall is continuing in and around the Mata
Vaishnodevi shrine. There is already four to five inches of
snowfall triggering extreme cold conditions," they said.
The shrine and its adjoining area at Trikuta hills
received the season`s first snowfall on January 6.
Despite the cold condition, the pilgrimage is going on
smoothly and over 5,000 pilgrims are undertaking yatra to the
shrine, they said.
Helicopter services for the pilgrims have been suspended
in view of the snowfall, they said.
There has been continuous snowfall in Bhaderwah, Batote,
Kishtwar, Patnitop, Banihal, Pir Panchal ranges in Poonch and
Rajouri districts, besides Bani, Mahore areas in Kathua and
Reasi districts since yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!