Heavy snowfall in J&K; NH-1A blocked
Anantnag: The vehicular movement on the 300-km-long Jammu-Srinagar National Highway (NH-1A) remained suspended after heavy snowfall on Friday, leaving hundreds of passengers stranded amid chaos and traffic bottlenecks.
Incessant snowfall in Anantnag district has resulted in the closure of the NH-1A on Friday (January 18).
The highway connects the Kashmir Valley with the rest of the country.
A passenger from New Delhi, Rohan, expressed his ire over the negligence of the administration as it failed to make any arrangements for the stranded commuters.
"I have come from Delhi and we are stuck since four days at national highway. The administration is taking no step to clear snow from the road. The authorities have also not made any food and accommodation arrangements. We came to Kashmir to enjoy but if this continues then we will not plan our trip again," he said.
According to met department, the district recorded three inches of snow.
Meanwhile, the Border Road Organisation (BRO) has started clearing operations to rescue the stranded passengers and drivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi