Heavy snowfall in J&K; NH-1A blocked
Anantnag: The vehicular movement on the 300-km-long Jammu-Srinagar National Highway (NH-1A) remained suspended after heavy snowfall on Friday, leaving hundreds of passengers stranded amid chaos and traffic bottlenecks.
Incessant snowfall in Anantnag district has resulted in the closure of the NH-1A on Friday (January 18).
The highway connects the Kashmir Valley with the rest of the country.
A passenger from New Delhi, Rohan, expressed his ire over the negligence of the administration as it failed to make any arrangements for the stranded commuters.
"I have come from Delhi and we are stuck since four days at national highway. The administration is taking no step to clear snow from the road. The authorities have also not made any food and accommodation arrangements. We came to Kashmir to enjoy but if this continues then we will not plan our trip again," he said.
According to met department, the district recorded three inches of snow.
Meanwhile, the Border Road Organisation (BRO) has started clearing operations to rescue the stranded passengers and drivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars