Heavy snowfall in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Heavy snowfall has been reported from the Kargil, Drass and Gulmarg areas in higher reaches of the Kashmir Valley, an official said here on Friday.
"Till today (Friday) morning, around 70 cm of snowfall has been recorded in areas around the Line of Control (LOC) -- 86 cm in Kanzalwan (Gurez), 20 cm in Drass town, 21 cm in Gulmarg and six cm in Kargil town," Sonam Lotus, director of the weather office here, told a news agency.
"Recent reports said that snowfall was still on in Kargil, Gulmarg and Drass towns," he added.
Lotus said that more precipitation - rain or snow - was expected in the region till Saturday afternoon.
"Weather will improve from tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon. We will have a gradual increase in day temperatures and slight fall in night temperatures from tomorrow onwards," the official added.
The minimum temperature in Srinagar was 1.2 degrees Celsius Friday, while it was a fraction below the freezing point at -0.2 degree in Pahalgam, a good minus 4.4 in Gulmarg, minus 9.6 in Kargil and -8.6 in Leh town.
At the Gulmarg ski resort in north Kashmir, all hotels were booked to the capacity for the New Year`s celebrations.
"Today`s snowfall will definitely add to the New Year festivities. A white blanket of thick snow has transformed Gulmarg into a picture postcard town," a hotelier at Gulmarg said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM