Hike in LPG price: BJP, PDP hold protest in J&K
Jammu: Police on Tuesday resorted to use of mild force to disperse BJP activists protesting against the hike in LPG cylinder price and its non-availability in Jammu.
Another clash was witnessed in the district between police and PDP activists during a protest by the opposition party against the LPG cylinder price hike.
Led by District President Jammu Rajesh Gupta, over 300 BJP activists today took out a protest rally.
Raising anti-government slogans and carrying placards of "no gas no food", the rally marched towards civil secretariat but police prevented them from moving ahead. During the protest BJP activists set ablaze the effigy of UPA government.
Following the denial by BJP members to return, police resorted to mild force to disperse the gathering.
"Police team attacked our peaceful protest," Gupta told reporters.
"There is a crises-like situation in the state as despite the price hike, consumers are not being provided LPG cylinder," he said.
Meanwhile, over 150 activists of PDP took out a rally from press club area in Jammu to express their anger over UPA decision to hike LPG cylinder price and limit the number of subsidised cylinders.
The police, however, did not allowed them to move forward leading to a clash with the party activists.
"For people reeling under the decisions taken by UPA government, the state government has made the situation even worse by announcing to provide only three subsidised LPG cylinder to each consumer for the remaining part of the ongoing financial year," PDP leader Vikram Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened