Himachal reels under biting cold wave as mercury plummets
Shimla: Cold wave enveloped several parts of Himachal Pradesh with icy winds lashing the low areas and mercury dipped by few notches hovering around sub-zero temperatures in the state.
The sky was heavily overcast in Shimla and surrounding areas received light snowfall, while the weather remained mainly dry in rest of the state, a MeT department official said.
The higher reaches and tribal areas shivered as mercury dropped by few notches after mild snowfall with Bharmaur in tribal areas of Chamba recorded a low of minus 13.1 degrees Celsius.
Keylong and Kalpa in tribal districts of Lahaul and Spiti and Kinnaur recorded minimum temperatures at minus 10.1 degrees and minus 6.4 degrees Celsius, a drop of three degree since yesterday, followed by Manali at minus 2.4 degrees, Dalhousie at minus 2.0 degree and Solan at minus 0.5 degree Celsius.
Shimla remained in the grip of severe cold with minimum temperature further dropping to 0.4 degree while Sundernagar and Una recorded a low of 1.1 degree and 1.3 degree Celsius, followed by Bhuntar at 2.0 degree, Palampur at 4.0 degrees, Nahan at 4.4 degrees and Dharamsala at 5.6 degrees Celsius.
The mercury swayed between minus 14 and minus 24 degree Celsius in high altitude tribal areas?and all lakes, springs, rivulets and tributaries were frozen in the region, causing sharp fall in discharge of water in snow-fed rivers of Ravi, Beas and Sutlej.
The maximum temperatures also dropped marginally and Una was hottest with a high of 19.2 degree while Nahan and Sundernagar recorded maximum temperatures at 16.4 degrees Celsius and 15.6 degree Celsius, followed by Solan?at 15.0 degrees and Bhunter at 14.8 degrees Celsius.
The local MeT office has?predicted dry weather over next three days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray