Hizb militants behind NC activist killing: Police
Srinagar: Three militants of Hizbul Mujahideen including a self-styled divisional commander were responsible for killing an NC activist in Pulwama district and
a massive hunt has been launched to nab them, Jammu and
Kashmir Police said on Thursday.
Divisional commander of Hizbul Mujahideen Sajad Ahmad
alias "Bale Bale" and his two associates were behind the
killing of NC `Halqa` President Ghulam Mohiddun Bhat, who
was shot at his Pinglish-Tral residence last night, police
A case has been registered and investigation set in
motion immediately after the killing, the police spokesman
said adding that highly reliable inputs suggest that Bhat was
killed by Sajad and two of his associates, one of whom has
been identified as Shabir Ahmad.
The entire area has been cordoned by a joint party of
police, Army and CRPF and a massive search has been launched
to nab the killers of Bhat, the spokesman said.
He said anti-militancy operations were stepped up due
to the onset of spring and movement of militants from winter
hideouts in mountains to populated areas.
"Strenuous efforts are being made to locate the
militants," the spokesman said.
Meanwhile, chairman of hardline faction of Hurriyat
Conference Syed Ali Shah Geelani expressed concern over the
killing of Bhat, a contractor by profession, saying Islam does
not allow an individual or a group to kill any human being,
whatever the reason.
"We strongly condemn the killing of Bhat and gruesome
murders of a minor girl in Kupwara and a doctor in Shopian
district. The phenomenon is reflective of an increasing
graph of social crimes in our society," Geelani said in a
"The drop in the level of tolerance and following the
approach of revenge and vendetta is against the teachings of
Islam and our culture," he said, adding Kashmiris were
known for their harmless and innocent behaviour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers