Hizb militants behind NC activist killing: Police
Srinagar: Three militants of Hizbul Mujahideen including a self-styled divisional commander were responsible for killing an NC activist in Pulwama district and
a massive hunt has been launched to nab them, Jammu and
Kashmir Police said on Thursday.
Divisional commander of Hizbul Mujahideen Sajad Ahmad
alias "Bale Bale" and his two associates were behind the
killing of NC `Halqa` President Ghulam Mohiddun Bhat, who
was shot at his Pinglish-Tral residence last night, police
A case has been registered and investigation set in
motion immediately after the killing, the police spokesman
said adding that highly reliable inputs suggest that Bhat was
killed by Sajad and two of his associates, one of whom has
been identified as Shabir Ahmad.
The entire area has been cordoned by a joint party of
police, Army and CRPF and a massive search has been launched
to nab the killers of Bhat, the spokesman said.
He said anti-militancy operations were stepped up due
to the onset of spring and movement of militants from winter
hideouts in mountains to populated areas.
"Strenuous efforts are being made to locate the
militants," the spokesman said.
Meanwhile, chairman of hardline faction of Hurriyat
Conference Syed Ali Shah Geelani expressed concern over the
killing of Bhat, a contractor by profession, saying Islam does
not allow an individual or a group to kill any human being,
whatever the reason.
"We strongly condemn the killing of Bhat and gruesome
murders of a minor girl in Kupwara and a doctor in Shopian
district. The phenomenon is reflective of an increasing
graph of social crimes in our society," Geelani said in a
"The drop in the level of tolerance and following the
approach of revenge and vendetta is against the teachings of
Islam and our culture," he said, adding Kashmiris were
known for their harmless and innocent behaviour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video