Hizbul behind attempt on life of Hurriyat`s Qureshi: probe
New Delhi/Srinagar: Pro-Pakistan terror group Hizbul Mujahideen was responsible for the assassination attempt on moderate Hurriyat leader Fazl-ul-Haq Qureshi with a sole idea to derail the talks process advocated by the secessionist leader, a probe by J&K police has claimed.
During extensive interrogation of the arrested Jammu and Kashmir Police constables--Abdul Rashid Shigen, Imtiyaz Ahmed Gojri and Manzoor Ahmed Chiloo-- by various security agencies, it has emerged that they carried out the attack on Qureshi at the instruction of Syed Salahuddin, chief of the terror group, official sources said on Wednesday.
68-year-old Qureshi, who played a key role in the secret talks held between the Mirwaiz Umer Farooq-led Hurriyat Conference and the then Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, was shot at on December four, 2009 in the outskirts of Srinagar city. The constables were arrested in August this year.
During investigation, during which all the three constables were confronted with each other, probe agencies claimed the trio had extensively carried out a reconnaissance of Qureshi`s daily routine before carrying out the attack.
The three arrested persons, who claimed responsibility for a dozen other terror attacks, purportedly told investigators the attack weapon had been provided by Bilal Shera, a close confidante of Hizb Chief, the sources said.
Shera was in close touch with the team and had been passing instructions to them over phone and Internet telephony, the sources said.
The bullet that shattered Qureshi`s skull minutes after he left his local mosque on December four was fired by Gojri from a point-blank range while the other two raised a hue and cry to ensure safe escape in the melee.
This is not the first time that Hizbul Mujahideen has been behind attempts to sabotage peace process in the Valley. Earlier, the terror group had killed Abdul Majid Dar, the terror outfits`s Chief Commander, in 2003 after he refused to follow diktats of Salahuddin.
Significantly, Al-Nasreen, a shadow outfit of Hizbul Mujahideen, had claimed responsibility for killing of Dar and also the attack on Qureshi.
Dar had helped to establish Hizbul Mujahideen along with Qureshi but later seeing the futility of violence, he had initiated a 12-day unilateral ceasefire with the Centre in 2000.
Qureshi later played a key role in brokering the ceasefire, along with Hurriyat leader Abdul Gani Lone, who was assassinated in 2002.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark