Hizbul Muhjahideen commander held
Srinagar: A self-styled commander of Hizbul Muhjahideen, a militant outfit, has been arrested by security forces in Anantnag district of Kashmir.
"Mubarak Ahmad Wani alias Major Saqib, Divisional Commander of Hizbul Mujahideen, was arrested based on specific intelligence in a joint operation yesterday," an Army spokesman said today.
An AK rifle, a pistol and some ammunition were recovered from his possession, the spokesman said.
Wani had joined militancy in 2001 when he had crossed the Line of Control to Pakistan-occupied Kashmir to get arms training, he said.
The spokesman said he returned to the Valley in 2007 and was subsequently arrested the same year.
After serving a two-year detention, Wani was released and rejoined the militant ranks in 2010. He was again arrested the same year and released the next year.
Wani was recycled into militancy last year and had been operating as Divisional Commander of the militant outfit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest