Hizbul Mujahideen almost wiped out in Kashmir
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir’s largest militant group, Hizbul Mujahideen has almost got vanquished now. The security forces have on regular interval been taking out the remaining commanders and cadres.
According to reports, hardly over two dozen militants are left in the HM. There has been no major action by the remaining militants for months now. "They are basically reduced to throwing occasional grenades or random firing, even those are very rare," a senior official told a leading daily, on the plight of HM.
The security forces have arrested many of the remaining HM operatives in the Kashmir Valley. In one of the operations, the senior most member of HM, Mushtaq Killer alias Mustaq Janghi was killed on October 13. Also killed in the same operation was another militant, while a third was arrested.
"Militancy is down in Kashmir, every day you must be reading reports that some militant leader or the other has been killed. I think the Hizbul Mujahideen has literally, almost, been wiped out, especially the Pakistan element of it has been wiped out," former Union home secretary GK Pillai had said some time back.
Hizbul Mujahideen was founded by Ahsan Dar in 1989.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- We will get to learn a lot from Anil Kumble, says 'fan' Murali Vijay
- Iraq says 260 IS vehicles destroyed in Fallujah flight
- Istanbul Ataturk Airport blasts: Eyewitness shares terrifying details of the attack - Watch
- Allahabad High Court denies alimony to divorced working woman
- Musharraf, Kayani have Swiss Bank accounts, says London-based investigative journalist