Hope PM will hold hand of friendship extended by Sharif: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday said he was hopeful that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will hold the hand of friendship extended by PML(N) leader Nawaz Sharif.
"Perhaps for the first time, improving relations with India was a positive issue in the Pakistan elections. Kashmir issue was not used much during the polls.
"In this backdrop, we are hopeful that the hand of friendship extended by Sharif would be held by the Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh)," Omar told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
He said the electoral victory for Sharif`s party was a good development for Indo-Pak relations and resolution of Kashmir issue.
"It is right that Sharif has won elections, which is a good development. Sharif has earlier also proved that he wants good relations with our country and he wants that Kashmir problem to be resolved through dialogue," Omar said.
The Chief Minister said while Sharif has been "punished" in the past by the army for this (soft stand towards India), there was very little influence or interference of the army in the recently concluded elections in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack