Hope something positive emerges from Manmohan-Sharif meeting: Farooq
New Delhi: Union Minister and National Conference leader Farooq Abdullah on Wednesday described as a "good step" Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s proposed meeting with his Pakistani counterpart on the sidelines of the UN general assembly in New York.
He hoped the meeting would be fruitful and that something positive emerges from it for both the countries.
"We can change friends but we cannot change neighbours. We can either live in friendship or in disaster. The meeting is important and a good step and I hope something good emerges for both the nations," Abdullah said on the sidelines of a conference.
In a statement issued before departing to the US on a week-long visit, Singh today confirmed that he would be meeting Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif during his trip to that country.
Earlier speaking at the conference of solar power developers, Abdullah identified "energy storage" as one of the crucial problems facing the country.
"We do not have transmission lines to evacuate and transmit power generated through solar panels," the Minister for New and Renewable Energy said.
"Forty per cent of the population still lives without energy. The issue of electricity price going in turmoil can also be addressed by generating more solar power," Abdullah said.
Officials in the Ministry said government is set to kick start the second phase of Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission with an aim to generate 10,000 MW of power by 2017.
They said the Ministry has achieved the set target of commissioning around 1,047 MW of solar power projects under JNNSM phase I and will set up more solar power panels in its second phase.
The officials said the ministry has already identified vast expanses of land in Rajasthan, Gujarat (Rann of Kutch), Kargil and Ladakh to set up solar power plants.
The Ministry will soon set up the world`s largest solar power project in Rajasthan located at about 75 kilometres from the state capital Jaipur. Spread across 23,000 acres area of Sambhar Salts Ltd, this power plant would have a capacity to generate 4,000 MW power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj