Hurriyat activists detained
Srinagar: Police on Saturday foiled attempts by Hurriyat activists to stage a sit-in to protest alleged human rights violations by placing chairman of the amalgam Mirwaiz Umer Farooq under house arrest and detaining around 45 of his supporters here.
Hurriyat had called for a silent sit-in at Pratap Park in the heart of the city to express solidarity with Kashmiri prisoners and to protest alleged rights violations in the state.
However, police and paramilitary troops sealed Pratap Park from all the four corners this morning to thwart the attempt of Hurriyat activists to enter the park and stage the sit-in.
At least 25 activists of Hurriyat Conference including executive member Masoor Abbas Ansari and chairperson of Muslim Khawateen Markaz, Yasmeen Raja, were detained by police at Lal Chowk when they tried to lead a procession from Court Road to Pratap Park, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble