Hurriyat activists detained
Srinagar: Police on Saturday foiled attempts by Hurriyat activists to stage a sit-in to protest alleged human rights violations by placing chairman of the amalgam Mirwaiz Umer Farooq under house arrest and detaining around 45 of his supporters here.
Hurriyat had called for a silent sit-in at Pratap Park in the heart of the city to express solidarity with Kashmiri prisoners and to protest alleged rights violations in the state.
However, police and paramilitary troops sealed Pratap Park from all the four corners this morning to thwart the attempt of Hurriyat activists to enter the park and stage the sit-in.
At least 25 activists of Hurriyat Conference including executive member Masoor Abbas Ansari and chairperson of Muslim Khawateen Markaz, Yasmeen Raja, were detained by police at Lal Chowk when they tried to lead a procession from Court Road to Pratap Park, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends