Hurriyat activists detained
Srinagar: Police on Saturday foiled attempts by Hurriyat activists to stage a sit-in to protest alleged human rights violations by placing chairman of the amalgam Mirwaiz Umer Farooq under house arrest and detaining around 45 of his supporters here.
Hurriyat had called for a silent sit-in at Pratap Park in the heart of the city to express solidarity with Kashmiri prisoners and to protest alleged rights violations in the state.
However, police and paramilitary troops sealed Pratap Park from all the four corners this morning to thwart the attempt of Hurriyat activists to enter the park and stage the sit-in.
At least 25 activists of Hurriyat Conference including executive member Masoor Abbas Ansari and chairperson of Muslim Khawateen Markaz, Yasmeen Raja, were detained by police at Lal Chowk when they tried to lead a procession from Court Road to Pratap Park, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you