Hurriyat appeals for maintaining peace in J&K
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference on Thursday made a fervent appeal to the people to maintain peace and brotherhood in the state in the wake of recent sectarian clashes in parts of Srinagar.
"We appeal to the people to maintain peace and brotherhood and remain cautious against the evil designs of those bent upon to weaken our ummah (people of faith)," Hurriyat chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani told reporters at his Hyderpora residence here.
Welcoming the return of normalcy in the violence-hit areas, he asked the people "to live in accordance with the Islamic teachings and avoid fighting each other on the basis of sects."
"You have to live in accordance with the teachings of Islam and there should be no tension among the sects. You should not fight against each other. Every sect can work individually but should not issue religious edicts against each other," he said.
He condemned police action of not allowing him to hold a peace rally in the interior city yesterday and said "the concerns of the government and its agencies about maintaining peace are hollow”.
"The government is raising the slogan of peace to befool the people and the world. Had they been sincere they should not have stopped me from holding the peace rally," Geelani said.
Geelani criticised the government for allegedly putting restrictions on his movement.
"There is no formal order from either the court or the government for my house arrest, but still police does not allow me to move out of my house. The claim that the policemen outside my residence are for my security is a lie as big as Himalayas. I have never sought security from the government," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next