Hurriyat demands inquiry into fate of "missing" Kashmiris
Srinagar: Moderate Hurriyat Conference chief Mirwaiz Umer Farooq on Friday demanded an inquiry into the fate of "missing" persons allegedly subjected to forced disappearance by security forces in Kashmir over the past 20 years.
"Troops and intelligence agencies of the so-called world`s largest democracy, empowered by draconian laws, picked up innocent Kashmiris... And subjected them to forced disappearance," Mirwaiz told a Friday congregation at the historic Jamia Masjid here.
"We demand an impartial inquiry into the fate of the thousands of Kashmiris who were subjected to forced disappearance over the last 20 years," he added.
"There are about 9,500 people missing while 6,500 unmarked graves have been discovered in Kashmir. Kin of the missing persons have every right to protest (in order) to know about the people who are buried in those graves," he said.
Despite the Association of Parents of Disappeared Persons (APDP) staging protests every month, international human rights organisations have "done nothing other than maintaining silence" over the issue, he said.
He then appealed to rights organisations and the International Court of Justice to ensure "justice for the affected people".
He said it was "highly shocking" that those sitting in the Assembly for the "sake of power", claiming to be the representatives of the people, had not even paid lip service to the "grave issue of enforced disappearances or killing of Kashmiris" by security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!